Tuesday 27 April 2010

Shopping with Em

Usually when I pick Emily up from Helen's after work, we have to head straight home. Any deviation to the supermarket is usually met with quite vocal hostility.

For whatever reason, tonight was different. Emily only grumbled a couple of times, and both were quite lame attempts. I've found it's easier to placate her if she rides up front with the food, rather than sit in the child seat.

When it came to checkout time, I thought I'd try and get her involved a bit. As she was standing in with the food anyway, I pointed to items in the cart and asked her to hand me the next item. Some things she gave me and some things she put on the conveyor belt and some things like a kilo of rice were a bit too heavy.

I was hoping this would keep her interest as well as let her not hate trips to the supermarket. As I was packing, I gave her the items that she could then put in the bag.

I'm under no illusions that the next trip to Sainsburys will not be as smooth or that Emily will be so helpful. It was nice while it lasted.
blog comments powered by Disqus