Wednesday 22 December 2010

Ineffectual parenting?

Yesterday when I picked Emily up from Helen's, she was tired and listless and not feeling well.

When we got home, I received an early Christmas present - 45 minutes of non-stop crying, fidgeting, runny nose and other actions you would associate with someone who is ill.

All my protestations of "C'mon Em, I know you're ill, it's going to be okay" couldn't resolve the fact that she was tired, achy, felt like crap and had a nose tap switched on that would not turn off.

There's not much you can do in these situations - administer Calpol, wipe the nose and make them comfortable. It just makes you feel useless that there's this little creature obviously in large amounts of distress and you have to sit (almost) idly by and just let it happen.

Short of taking her to the doctors every time this happens, I guess letting it happen is just what I need to do.
blog comments powered by Disqus